As Cambodia continues to struggle after decades of war and corruption, the consequences are particularly grim for children. Poverty, abandonment, and HIV/AIDS have led to an increase in the population of orphans. Though Cambodia has made vast improvements in turning the tide of the HIV epidemic in recent years, young people remain vulnerable and do not receive sufficient attention from HIV/AIDS prevention organizations.
With the help of international volunteers, Global Service Corps hopes to inform children in need about HIV/AIDS in order to keep future generations safe from the disease, as well provide support and life skills for orphans affected by HIV/AIDS in order to help them successfully integrate into Cambodian society when they leave the orphanage. The goal is to empower the children of Cambodia to lead healthier lives and achieve positive futures.
GSC’s Cambodia International Health Program Highlights
• Learn about HIV/AIDS and other wellness issues and become an effective trainer by receiving in-country HIV/AIDS prevention and wellness training. Volunteers will be prepared with role-play materials, games and activities, and conversation practice outlines.
• Assist in providing vital HIV/AIDS prevention and wellness training to children in need, and participating in follow-up activities.
• Help bring light and happiness into the lives of poor and abandoned children, many of whom are HIV positive. Become friends, mentors, and educators to these children by sharing your time and talents at a children’s center in Phnom Penh.
• Explore Cambodia with fellow volunteers on sightseeing trips including the Royal Palace and Silver Pagoda, the National Museum, the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum, the Killing Fields at Cheoung Ek, and many more places. Learn more about our cultural orientation and training.
• There is no language requirement, and previous teaching experience is not required – just a positive attitude and a willingness to approach challenges with patience and enthusiasm!
For more information and to volunteer with Global Service Corps to help create brighter futures, please visit our website here.